Simple Savant for Browser Backend?

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I noticed your AWS SimpleDB Browser project today and it looks like a great start. Have you considered using Simple Savant as your backend for interfacing with SimpleDB? It provides some low-level functionality that might help you out and give you more time to focus on the value-added features of your browser.

One problem I see with many current SimpleDB interfaces is that they only show data as it is stored (raw strings) not as the consuming applications actually use it. I would love to see a browser that lets me store a thin layer of formatting metadata for each domain I'm working with.

Coordinator
Apr 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM

An interesting idea, but part of the fundamental goal of this browser is that it provides a direct view of what exists, literally, in the simpledb.  Stacking metadata on top of it is like re-inventing a database (wheel) that already exists.  :) 

There may be some value to adding capability to perform some on-the-fly data transformations to strings (e.g., manual entry of DateTimes).  There are some other, higher-priority things I'd like to do first, though.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I didn't mean the formatted view should be the only view. It would be useful to have a tool that shows both raw and formatted data. And there are already lots of other SimpleDB tools that provide a view of the raw data.

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM

In that case, consider doing it yourself and then submitting the patch.  I'll take a look at it.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:51 AM

The number of records seemed to be limited in the DomainItemList. (500?) Why is that.